News EventSunday, July 16, 2017 @ 1500
Quiz number 1
Quiz number 1
by Jim Jarvie (Paisley, Scotland)
Test yourself on questions about ships and shipping and ports.
( a ) World ports and places.
1. In the 1950’s and 60’s Port Swettenham in Malaysia was a very common call by cargo ships. In 1972 it was renamed. What is it now called ? - - - - - - - - -
2. In the 1960’s if you were sailing ALONG THE COAST from the Persian / Arabian Gulf to Calcutta you would pass these ports …. Cochin, Bombay, Karachi, Calicut, Mangalore.
Now put them in order as you would pass them.
3. Where is Table Mountain ?
4. Is it Medditeranean or Mediterranean or Medditteranean or Medditeranean ?
5. Hamburg in Germany is on what River ?
6. Aden is in which country ?
7. Where was Kidderpore Dock ?
8. Sailors at Colombo used to go along the coast to visit an imposing seaside hotel. What was it called ?
( b ) Shipping Companies
1. In the 1950’s Bibby Line of Liverpool served which Far Eastern country ? - - - - -
2. Brocklebank Line of Liverpool normally had their own ships names beginning with what letter ?
3. What British coaster company ships names started with BALLY
4. Which tanker owning company of Newcastle (England) had their ships names ending in … FIELD.
5. Which Company owned / operated OTAIO, HINAKURA, PIAKO in 1960’s ?
( c ) IRON ORE
Name these iron ore loading ports in
1. Venezuela - - - - - - - - - -
2. Canada - - - - - - - - - - - - or also known as - - - - - - - -
3. Russia - - - - - - - -
4. Norway - - - - - -
5. Sweden - - - - -
6. Liberia - - - - - - - -
7. Brasil - - - - - - - -
( d ) Where were they going to ?
Furness Withy cargo ships such as PACIFIC STRONGHOLD, PACIFIC NORTHWEST and PACIFIC ENVOY in the 1960’s left UK loaded for North American ports. Which ports ?
( e ) How well do you know the Clyde
1. You have landed on shore at Hunter’s Quay and want to drive direct to the lighthouse on Toward Point. What towns or villages would you pass through ?
2. You are in Tighnabruaich on the west Kyles of Bute, and want to drive to Ardlamont Point. You will pass through two villages. What villages ?
3. Dumbarton stands on which river ?
4. On TV News showing golf being played at Turnberry Golf Course, Ayrshire, the camera often shows a lighthouse in the background. What lighthouse is it ?
5. At the southern end of Arran is a small island. What island ?
( f) Which large Cunard passenger liner sank with great loss of life on 7 May 1915
( g ) Name the six states of Australia, and which state is Brisbane in ?
Answers are to be found on “Events” for 17 July 2017
This is our first little quiz. If you would like to create a quiz then please do so and e-mail it to us at the “Contact us” tab at the top of the Home Page.