Ship: PIBROCH (1957-1976 General cargo motor coaster 87 feet long of Scottish Malt Distillers, Edinburgh)
|Port of Registry:||Glasgow|
PIBROCH was a machinery aft,one-deck general cargo motor coaster with steel hatch covers, built in 1956 by Scott & Sons, Bowling, on the River Clyde, for Scottish Malt Distillers, Glasgow, to service their whisky distilleries on the Isle of Islay in the Western Isles of Scotland'
Her normal service was to carry casks of whisky from the small piers adjacent to the distilleries in Islay, and to bring them to Glasgow. Much of this whisky was loaded onto Anchor, Head, United States and Skou Line ships at Yorkhill, and these vessels would carry the whisky to ports in the U.S.A.
PIBROCH's return journey to Islay would see her carrying empty whisky casks and - or- coal to the distilleries
She was 87' 5" overall length (which made her too long to use the Crinan Canal for her passages, and she had to go round the Mull of Kintyre each time), 20' 5" breadth and 9' 6 1/2" draught.
Her machinery was a British Polar Oil engine 2 SA 5-cylinder 180 x 300mm geared to sc. shaft
Her fate is a bit of a mystery. PIBROCH was sold to Glenlight Shipping and carried cargoes to the Western Islands. Then she was sold to an irish gentleman who intended to use her around the west coast of Ireland, but she appears to have been abandoned in Letterfrack in County Galway, Ireland. She deteriorated greatly, and it is believed that she was taken over by the local council and demolished where she lay.
Any details of her fate would be appreciated
|Pibroch ; in Glenlight colours 7th September 1987, Victoria Harbour, Greenock|