Ship: ANDANIA (1960-1969 Refrigerated / General cargo liner 490 feet long of Cunard Line)
|Port of Registry:||Liverpool|
She served Cunard from 1959 to 1969, then was transferred to Brocklebank Line and renamed "Macharda"
3rd May 1960
The Cunard cargo liner ANDANIA (6,950 tons) built by William Hamilton and Company, Port Glasgow, begins her maiden voyage from Glasgow today and inaugurates a Cunard cargo service from the Clyde and Liverpool to ports in the Gulf of Mexico.
She is a 17-knot ship, powered by steam turbines, and will carry 7,500 tons of cargo, including edible oil and perishable stuffs for which she has refrigerated space. She may also be quickly converted from general cargo to grain carrying.
The ANDANIA makes Cunard history as the first of the company’s ships designed for service in the St Lawrence Seaway and also to negotiate the Manchester Ship Canal. To allow her to pass under the canal bridges, her two topmasts are telescopic, her radar mast is hinged, and her funnel top is removable. The funnel is tapered and built into the superstructure, bringing a new look to the Cunard cargo fleet.
A sister ship, the ALAUNIA, which will be joining the ANDANIA in the Autumn, is being launched next week by William Hamilton and Company.