Ship: BRESCIA (1947-1966 General cargo liner 339 feet long of Cunard Line, Liverpool)
|Port of Registry:||Liverpool|
Bernt Frederiksz writes
Official Number 180517
Call Sign GCXZ
A two-deck general and refrigerated cargo vessel, she was built in 1945 by Consolidated Steel Corporation, Wilmington, USA as HICKORY ISLE and operated by the British Ministry of War Transport
Equipped with Direction Finder, Echo-Sounding-Device, Gyro Compass, Radar and Radio Telephone
In 1947 she was sold to Cunard Steamship Company, Liverpool, and renamed BRESCIA, and was employed on their UK to Mediterranean general and refrigerated cargo service.
Her classification at LLoyds was 100A1
Length overall 338' 8"
Breadth extreme 50' 00"
Draught summer 23' 4 1/2"
Her machinery was an Oil Engine 2SA 6cy 545 x 735 mm built by Nordberg Manufacturing Company, Milwaukee.
Boilers were db 100lb ndb9/48
In 1966 she was sold by Cunard to a Panamanian Company and renamed TIMBER ONE
Sold again in 1970 she was converted into an oceanographic research vessel and renamed DEEPSEA MINER
She was broken up in Spain in 1974