Ship: DEVONIA (1962 - 1967 an educational cruise ship carrying passengers 517 feet long of British India Line, London : 1968 scrapped La Spezia, Italy)
|Port of Registry:||London (England, U.K.)|
DEVONIA was built in 1939 as the troopship DEVONSHIRE for Bibby Line, Liverpool, and in 1962 Bibby's sold her to British India Line, London, for £175,000 for conversion to an educational cruise ship carrying 194 cabin passengers and 834 dormitory passengers. British India renamed her DEVONIA. Conversion was made by Barclay Curle, Whiteinch, Glasgow, and DEVONIA entered service with BI in Easter 1962.
For 5 years she carried school parties and special interest groups to generally Scandanavian and Mediterranean ports, and, on 15th December 1967, having completed 110 educational cruises, she was sold to Cantieri Navali ‘Santa Maria’, Genoa, Italy, to be broken up. Demolition began at La Spezia, Italy, in January 1968.
DEVONIA was replaced by the educational cruise ship UGANDA of British India Line,