Ship: GUNUNG DJATI (1958 - 1962 passenger ship fitted for carrying pilgrims 576 feet long of Alfred Holt's Blue Funnel Line, Liverpool : 1987 scrapped at Kaohsiung, Taiwan)
|Port of Registry:||Liverpool (England, U.K.)|
Norman Horrocks e-mails Historical information :
The ship was actually built in 1936 by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg, for Deutsche Ost-Afrika linie, and named PRETORIA. She was employed on passenger service from German and continental ports to East Africa.
At the end of World War 11 the ship was taken as taken from the Germans as a British war prize and renamed EMPIRE DOON and used as a Troopship and managed by Orient Line for the British Ministry of War Transport. In 1948 - 1949 she was reconditioned, again as a Troopship, and renamed EMPIRE ORWELL.
In 1958 she was chartered to Pan Islamic Steam Ship Company of Karachi, Pakistan, for pilgrim service.
November 1958 saw her sold to Blue Funnel Line of Liverpool (Ocean Steam Ship Company) and was refitted for the carriage of pilgrims from Indonesia to Jeddah (Saudi Arabia) and was renamed GUNUNG DJATI
In 1962 Blue Funnel sold her to the Indonesian Government who continued to use her for carrying pilgrims.
1979 saw a change of use, when the Indonesian Government transferred her to the Indonesian Navy as a Naval accommodation ship and renamed her KRI TANJUNG PANDAN
Her end came in 1987 when she was sold for scrap, and arrived at Kaohsiung, Taiwan, for demolition