Ship: EMPIRE PENGUIN (1940-1942 General cargo ship 402 feet long of British Ministry of War Transport, London and managed by Runciman / Anchor Line, Glasgow : 1959 scrapped at Lisbon)
|Port of Registry:||U.K.|
Empire Penguin was a 6,389-GRT (9,600 DWT) cargo ship which was built by Skinner & Eddy Corp, Seattle. Completed in 1919 as Elkridge for the USSB. Sold in 1928 to Oceanic and Oriental Steam Navigation Co, San Francisco and renamed Golden Star. Sold in 1937 to American-Hawaiian Steamship Co and renamed Tennessean. To MoWT in 1940 and renamed Empire Penguin. Allocated in 1942 to the Dutch Government and renamed Van de Velde. Sold in 1947 to Koninklijke Hollandsche Lloyd and renamed Rijnland. Renamed Rynland in 1949. Sold in 1957 to Compagnia Navigazione Maraventure, Panama and renamed Vaptistis. Operated under the management of Lemos & Pateras Ltd. Scrapped in September 1959 at Lisbon.